Friday, September 14, 2012

Delaware Indian Story Purse/Teaching Plot Development

We began an American History unit study this week and I found a great craft in a book from our bookshelf, "A Kid's Guide to Native American History." I like this book because it maps out original tribal regions and cultures. I found a traditional Delaware Indian Story Purse project and I knew right away that it would be a great way to spend our story writing time! I used this activity to teach plot development. My first grader was having an off day and didn't do much with his but my daughter who is in fourth and fifth grade amazed me with her details.

I began by laying out a brown bag and shape cut outs. I told them to make the shapes into whatever they wanted and make up a story. I also suggested that they write the title or draw a picture on the bag.

story bag
Story Bag Project Before


Chloe wrote a lovely story she called, "The Owl and the Tree." It was about an owl and a tree that dearly loved each other through every season. She had plenty of details and the pictures were both descriptive and strategically planned. I loved this #project because it fostered creativity as well as #plot development.

story bag
Story Bag Project After

More About Me

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Homeschool Arizona for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.