Thursday, October 7, 2010

Make a Solar System


solar system project
Solar System Project
 
Project based learning can be so much fun and it really drives a topic home.  When we studied the solar system we made a solar system.  While I am somewhat crafty; I cannot call it my gift nor do I have a vast amount of materials on hand.  I often find myself improvising so that I can use up and recycle what I have around the house.  So, here is our solar system; improvise to make your own unique version.

Supplies:

For our solar system we used string, a foil box tube, Styrofoam balls, paper clips and bits of old craft paint.  If you do not have a foil box tube then a wire hanger will do the trick.  We simply painted the planets and then after they dried we stuck the paper clips in much like you would for a Christmas ornament and attached them in order to the tube.  The rings on Saturn were made with half a pipe cleaner.  I have also seen molecules assembled this way using the addition of push pins. For our curriculum we use #Apologia, Exploring Creation with Astronomy...It is my favorite!
More About Me

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Homeschool Arizona for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.